School start time and end time?

– School starts at 9.20am and finishes at 2pm
(Junior & Senior Infants) and 3pm (1st – 6th Class).

Who should I talk to if I’m worried about my child/ What do I do if my child is having difficulty in school/with homework?

Contact the class teacher and have a chat. The more information they have, the easier and quicker the problem can be sorted. They can also offer advice and support that will best suit your child. Homework should be as stress free as possible. If your child has given the homework a try and is really struggling, then write a note in the homework journal and the teacher will help.

How will I find out about my child’s progress?

You will find out about your child’s progress from the class teacher at the PT meeting which is held annually (normally in February) and then again at the end of the year in their school report. If you have any questions or queries at any stage throughout the year you can contact the class teacher.

Where do I buy the school uniform?

Our uniform is a navy jumper/sweatshirt, navy trousers/tracksuit bottoms/pinafore/skirt & a white shirt/polo shirt. These items can be purchased from all major retailers. School crests are available from the parents’council which can be sewn on and reused. Make sure to label all items.

What should I do if my child loses clothing?

There is a lost and found located in the school. That is a great place to check after they have fully checked their
classroom, the yard and the hall.

What sort of lunches can my child bring to school?

We believe that healthy eating promotes healthy minds! We encourage children to bring a nutritious lunch
and strongly recommend that they bring a bottle of water as their drink. We allow a small treat on Fridays.

Can I park at the school?

Yes, there’s parking in front of the school and in the carpark behind. There’s also a set down area for dropping off/collection.

What is the best time to talk to a teacher if I have a question?

The class teacher can be contacted by writing a note your child’s journal or emailing oristownns@gmail.com to make an appointment.

How can parents get involved?

The Parents’ Council will always welcome new members or volunteers for their events. You can contact the parent’s council by emailing oristownnationalschool@gmail.com.

How do I report my child’s absence from school?

If your child has been absent we ask that you fill out an absence form, copies of which your child will receive at the beginning of the school year.
Additional absence notes can be downloaded here.

When are the school holidays?

– School holidays can be viewed on our school calendar.

How will I be informed if there is a school closure?

All emergency school closures will be communicated through email and text. If there is a change to the published school calendar, you will be informed as soon as possible via email.

What do I do if my child has a medical/dental appointment?

If your child needs to attend an appointment we ask that you write a note in their journal to inform the class teacher.

What do I do if my child is prescribed medication?

Inform the school by letting the class teacher know. Any medication that is taken in school requires a medical declaration form to be filled out. This can be collected from the office where you can collect it, fill it out and then hand it back. Any medication that is to be used in an emergency situation will be stored in the office and another set in the classroom.

What happens if my child has an accident at school?

All incidents are recorded in the first aid log or the incidents book. Any major accidents will be assessed by one of the many trained staff members in first aid. You will receive a phone call if there is any additional information that needs to be passed on or if any further action needs to be taken.

What additional activities are offered in the school?

We are incredibly lucky to have so many enthusiastic and talented teachers that love to help the children develop their talents and interests in many different areas. These include: art, gardening, green schools, music, sports, swimming, drama, wellbeing. There are also Speech, Drama & Communication classes available in Halla Clodagh after school on Thursday afternoons.